[ovs-discuss] How to set trunk on open vswitch?

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu May 27 02:11:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM, 신용진 <akayong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm,
>

> At first, I do not set any values both of "tag", and "trunks"
> But servers and VMs cannot communicate each other.
> So, I searched about "trunk" on openvswitch, and I set the value on them.
>

> Let's suppose that I put an IP on VLAN as 10.10.10.101 at SV1(Server1).
> When I ping to 10.10.10.101 from other server(SV2) (those two servers(SV1,
> SV2) are connected to same physical server)
> Then, the SV1 replies for pinging 10.10.10.101.
>

> However, the VLAN(10.10.10.101) can not going out anywhere.
> When I ping, or traceroute through that VLAN, it doesn't works.
>

> I can see the RX bytes and TX bytes with "ifconfig".
> TX bytes seems OK, but RX bytes is always 0.

Are you still using vconfig to configure the vlans or are you only using OVS
to handle all of the vlan functionality?

If you are using OVS to do the vlans, you should set the tag field on the
internal port and leave the other ports alone to trunk.

If this still doesn't work, you can use tcpdump to see what is going out on
the wire and ovs-dpctl dump-flows to see if packets are being dropped.