[ovs-discuss] Could change default VLAN ID of bridge?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Nov 4 16:26:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Jen-Wei Hu <jenweihu at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. If we want to change the default VLAN ID (VLAN 0) on br0, is it possible?
> That is, could we tag VLAN 1 on br0?
> 2. Could we tag multiple VLAN ID on br0?

You can put ports on tagged VLANs by setting their "tag" values:
        ovs-vsctl set Port <myport> tag=1234

You can also add a "internal interface" on a tagged VLAN, if you want to be able
to, say, configure an IP address on that tagged VLAN:
        ovs-vsctl add Port br0 vlan100 tag=100 -- set Interface
vlan100 type=internal
This is described in the Configuration Cookbook section of the
ovs-vsctl manpage.

> 3. When trying VLAN function in OVS, we use "ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap0".
> This VM could work well and ping default gateway(br0) successfully. But we
> use "ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap0 tag=0" to replace preview command. The VM
> could not get the same result. Is this command could not use like we
> describe?

I don't understand why you'd want to use tag=0.

Make sure that your gateway understands packets with tagged VLANs.