[ovs-discuss] exit code 142

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Nov 4 23:02:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 03:56:06PM -0700, Chris Nolan wrote:
> I am having problems getting KVM and openvswitch working nicely
> together and I believe the problem revolves around ovs-vsctl exiting
> with a non "0" exit code.
>
> Here is what it looks like on my host:
>
> [root at host01 ~]# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 tap0
> Alarm clock
> [root at host01 ~]# echo $?
> 142
>
> First, what is "Alarm Clock" and second, what is exit/return code 142?

ovs-vsctl is timing out either because it cannot contact ovsdb-server or
because ovs-vswitchd is not running.  When this happens, ovs-vsctl exits
with signal SIGALRM and your shell prints "Alarm clock" to tell you
that.  An exit code of 142 also means that the process exited due to
SIGALRM (type "kill -l 142" to see this).

The usual solution is to make sure that ovsdb-server and ovs-vswitchd
are running.