[ovs-discuss] about monitoring openvswitch traffic

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at inmon.com
Fri Nov 12 21:05:32 UTC 2010

The easiest way to link the ifIndex numbers reported by sFlow in the Open vSwitch (OVS) with virtual machine host names is to run the Host sFlow agent on Dom0. As well as simplifying the configuration of sFlow on OVS, the Host sFlow agent uses the xenstat library to report on virtual machine performance and link virtual machines to the OVS ports.
http://blog.sflow.com/2010/08/sflow-host-structures.html

For instructions on installing Host sFlow on XCP 0.5, see:
http://blog.sflow.com/2010/10/xcp-05.html

The following example demonstrates the combination of OVS and Host sFlow provides visibility into  traffic and virtual machine performance:
http://blog.sflow.com/2010/10/sflowtrend-adds-server-performance.html

Peter