[ovs-discuss] openvswitch as openflow switch

Haris Rotsos cr409 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 19:26:50 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

I have a question related to openvswitch and it's functionality as an
openflow switch. I am currently setting up the switch as follows:

insmod openvswitch/datapath/linux-2.6/openvswitch_mod.ko
insmod openvswitch/datapath/linux-2.6/brcompat_mod.ko

#Start ovsdb server. The configuration is the default created through
ovsdb-create
sudo ovsdb-server openvswitch/ovsdb.conf

#initialize db and create bridge
sudo ovs-vsctl init
sudo ovs-vsctl add-br br0
ifconfig br0 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth1
sudo ovs-vsctl set-controller br0 tcp:127.0.0.1:6633 #I am using nox
as a controller

I also have a device attached on eth1 which has ip 10.1.1.2/24. As
long as the switch doesn't have an openflow controller setted up, I am
able to connect to the computer hosting the switch (e.g. pinging and
sshing 10.1.1.1 works). After I setup the controller ip, the host
becomes unreachable. The problem in the beginning was that the switch
didn't reply to arp request, but even if I manually insert the mac
address of br0, the host remained unreachable. Is there a way in a
setup like the one mentioned to be able to push packets up the network
stack to the system hosting the switch?

--
Charalampos Rotsos
PhD student