[ovs-discuss] openvswitch (Ubuntu) bug

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 25 01:25:22 UTC 2010

On 24/11/10 20:25, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:49:16AM +0000, Dave Walker wrote:
>> I'd like to raise that the Debian package imported to Ubuntu Natty
>> failed to build from source.  A bug has been opened against this
>> package in Ubuntu [0].
>>
>> I believe it is due to linker behaviour change in Natty:
>> "The linking behaviour was changed to not resolve symbols anymore
>>      in indirectly linked shared libraries.  A binary directly using
>>      a symbol from a shared library has to link with this library.
>>      Details can be found at [3], an analysis of required changes (and
>>      some patches) for packages in main can be found at [4]. A list
>>      of open issues is found at [5].
>> " -- [1]
>>
>> This pretty much means that -lcrypto explicitly needs to be added
>> where -lssl is used.  I've added a trivial patch [2] to the Ubuntu
>> package to achieve this, and seems to resolve the build failure.
>> However, it should probably be part of configure.ac.
> Thank you for the report.
>
> It looks like Open vSwitch just needs to use pkg-config to check for
> openssl instead of libssl.
>
> Here's a patch, does it fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.
>
> --8<--------------------------cut here-------------------------->8--

<SNIP>

Hi Ben,

Ooo, well caught.  I can confirm this fixes the issue on both Ubuntu
Natty (11.04), and the current Debian Sid package (1.1.0~pre2-5) does
still build.  I'm not sure it warrants another upload to Ubuntu for the
same net effect, but if this change lands in Debian; i'll be sure to
sync it across (dropping my subpar fix).

I also wanted to add that the recent s/any/linux-any/ change [0] is
currently incompatible with Ubuntu build process due to a bug our side
[:(], which causes no binary packages to be built; therefore I reverted
this change [1] in our package.  Short term, I think this needs to be a
maintained delta between Ubuntu and Debian - until the bug with the
build system is resolved.

I also wanted to raise that we are currently working on adding an
additional binary package, which includes dkms support for the kernel
module.  Would it be possible to submit this for inclusion in your
upstream packaging, once it is tested?

[0]
http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=patch;h=2d8b103caa9fbd65f62c7727aa7ba4b3d0467a39
[1]