[ovs-discuss] [Solved][Bug] flow deletion before transmission end - transmission stalled

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Nov 30 20:19:12 UTC 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:12:16PM -0800, Justin Pettit wrote:

>>> and igb Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 2.1.9
>>
>> This is an issue in the Intel driver that we've seen internally.  The
>> driver calculates the size of the receive FIFO based on whether a VLAN
>> group is defined.  OVS doesn't use VLAN groups, so the driver sets the
>> maximum size to 1514 bytes, but frames with VLANs are 1518.  Jesse
>> reworked the way VLANs are handled in Linux to make this class of
>> problems go away, which should make it into 2.6.37.  We may look at
>> patching the driver to work with existing kernels.  If we do that,
>> we'll forward the patch to you.
>
> Should we document the issue somewhere in the tree, e.g. INSTALL.Linux?

As you know, we've run into a number of troubled drivers when it comes to VLAN processing.  In the next few weeks, we'll be adding a self-test utility that users and NIC vendors can run to see if there are problems with a particular driver.  When we document the purpose of that, we should probably include a list of drivers with known problems and whether a fixed driver is available.

--Justin