[ovs-discuss] [Solved][Bug] flow deletion before transmission end - transmission stalled

Christian Fischer christian.fischer at easterngraphics.com
Tue Nov 30 20:47:30 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 21:12:16 Justin Pettit wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Christian Fischer wrote:

> >> e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 1.1.2-NAPI
> >
> > and igb Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 2.1.9
>
> This is an issue in the Intel driver that we've seen internally.  The
> driver calculates the size of the receive FIFO based on whether a VLAN
> group is defined.  OVS doesn't use VLAN groups, so the driver sets the
> maximum size to 1514 bytes, but frames with VLANs are 1518.  Jesse
> reworked the way VLANs are handled in Linux to make this class of problems
> go away, which should make it into 2.6.37.  We may look at patching the
> driver to work with existing kernels.  If we do that, we'll forward the
> patch to you.
>
> --Justin

I've simply added a call to some network initialization code to
/etc/init.d/management-interface
I add there some physports, do there the up/down_delay initialization, my
multipath initialization, the physport vlan settings and the physport mtu
settings (1518).

That works and is acceptable upgrade safe (XCP).