[ovs-discuss] Help Connecting Switch to VMs

Derek Cormier derek.cormier at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Oct 8 01:06:55 UTC 2010

On 10/07/2010 06:04 PM, Justin Pettit wrote:
> I was able to reproduce this problem.  It sounds like you may have worked around the issue, but I'll try to get a fix out in the next day or two.
>
> Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
>
> --Justin

Great, thank you for looking into this! In the meantime I am going to
try to get ovs-vswitchd working with another controller. I also have a
couple more questions.

1) What is the difference between setting up a bridge and setting up a
data path? I have added my switch vm's ethernet ports (which connect to
other host vm's) to the data path. I thought that this was sufficient
for OpenFlow, but after looking at the man page for ovs-vsctl I noticed
that the arguments for controller commands take a bridge. Do I also need
to create a bridge and add those ethernet ports?

2) On step 5 of
http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL.OpenFlow;hb=HEAD,
it says we need to set the IP address of the data path. Is this a new IP
address or should it be one of the network interfaces for the switch vm?

Thanks!
Derek