[ovs-discuss] "local" flow match rules + a controller

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed Oct 13 19:39:53 UTC 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Dave Scott wrote:

>> Hi, Dave.  You are correct that the controller "owns" all the rules on
>> the switch.  (Technically, there are exceptions to this, but that's a
>> road I wouldn't recommend going down.)  It is up to the
>> controller/application to decide how to handle existing flows, but all
>> the ones I know of wipe the existing flows on OpenFlow connection
>> establishment.  (It's kind of a nightmare to debug a controller app
>> otherwise.)
>
> Thanks for the clarification-- I'll avoid digging into the exceptions (emergency mode rules?) :)

The biggest user of these hidden rules is in-band control, which creates flows that ensure the switch can communicate with a controller, regardless of the flows that are configured by a user or controller.

>> Would a proxy, generic port forwarding application, or IP tables rules
>> work for you?  I would think any of those would do the job you want and
>> not interfere with any OpenFlow controllers.  (Unless, of course, it's
>> specifically dropping those flows, which is probably a configuration
>> problem anyway.)
>
> I did a few experiments and it looks like iptables and NAT will do what I want. I'll assign dom0 and the helper domains link-local 169.254.* addresses on a private network and then use a DNAT iptables rule to readdress traffic heading to a port on the dom0 management ip. No additional openflow hackery needed [a pity because I was looking forward to playing with it more :)]

Fantastic.  I'm glad you got it working.  If you want to dig into this stuff more, I've got a few items on our to-do list that I could forward your way.  ;-)

--Justin