[ovs-discuss] Getting OpenFlow Set Up

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Oct 14 03:21:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02:14AM +0900, Derek Cormier wrote:
> I created my virtual bridge vbr0 using ovs-vsctl while ovs-vswitchd
> was running. I now want to use ovs-openflowd instead.

Why?

> However, it seems I cannot form a connection between ovs-controller
> and ovs-openflowd unless I do an ifconfig on vbr0. This, however,
> requires ovs-vswitchd to be running. How can I do this using only
> ovs-openflowd?

ovs-openflowd and ovs-vswitchd are mutually exclusive.  You should not
run both of them at once; it will not work properly.

> Also, I'm not exactly sure which IP address I should use for the
> datapath, and which IP address I should use for running in-band
> communication.

Normally these are one and the same.

> I tried using ptcp: to connect the controller and OpenFlow switch but
> this didn't work.

The switch would normally specify the controller as "tcp:1.2.3.4" and
the controller listen on "ptcp:".  (Well, SSL would be better.)

> My set-up is as follows:
>
> - Open vSwitch runs in a Virtual Machine.
> - Other vm hosts connect to the switch vm via an internal network
> (one for each host).

This is an unusual setup.