[ovs-discuss] Getting OpenFlow Set Up

Derek Cormier derek.cormier at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Oct 14 05:03:02 UTC 2010

Hi Ben, my comments are inline.

On 10/14/2010 12:21 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02:14AM +0900, Derek Cormier wrote:
>> I created my virtual bridge vbr0 using ovs-vsctl while ovs-vswitchd
>> was running. I now want to use ovs-openflowd instead.
> Why?
The impression I had was that is was less complex and easier to get
OpenFlow running.
>> However, it seems I cannot form a connection between ovs-controller
>> and ovs-openflowd unless I do an ifconfig on vbr0. This, however,
>> requires ovs-vswitchd to be running. How can I do this using only
>> ovs-openflowd?
> ovs-openflowd and ovs-vswitchd are mutually exclusive.  You should not
> run both of them at once; it will not work properly.

Yes, I remember reading that somewhere. When I was looking at the man
page for ovs-ofctl at the arguments for add-flow, I interpreted the
'switch' argument to mean one of the virtual bridges created with
ovs-vsctl, rather than a connection to the switch process. Since
ovs-vsctl requires ovs-vswitchd, I thought I might need to run it. Also
there is the fact that everything I have learned about networking I have
studied in the past two weeks, so I don't have a strong understand of
what needs to be done.

So are datapaths only used for ovs-openflowd and bridges only used for
ovs-vswitchd? And, I can use ovs-vswitchd as an OpenFlow switch?

>> Also, I'm not exactly sure which IP address I should use for the
>> datapath, and which IP address I should use for running in-band
>> communication.
> Normally these are one and the same.
>
>> I tried using ptcp: to connect the controller and OpenFlow switch but
>> this didn't work.
> The switch would normally specify the controller as "tcp:1.2.3.4" and
> the controller listen on "ptcp:".  (Well, SSL would be better.)

Ah yes, that worked.
>> My set-up is as follows:
>>
>> - Open vSwitch runs in a Virtual Machine.
>> - Other vm hosts connect to the switch vm via an internal network
>> (one for each host).
> This is an unusual setup.

Indeed. It's meant for a simulation.