[ovs-discuss] Getting OpenFlow Set Up

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Oct 14 16:35:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 02:03:02PM +0900, Derek Cormier wrote:
> Hi Ben, my comments are inline.
>
> On 10/14/2010 12:21 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02:14AM +0900, Derek Cormier wrote:
> >>I created my virtual bridge vbr0 using ovs-vsctl while ovs-vswitchd
> >>was running. I now want to use ovs-openflowd instead.
> >Why?
> The impression I had was that is was less complex and easier to get
> OpenFlow running.
> >>However, it seems I cannot form a connection between ovs-controller
> >>and ovs-openflowd unless I do an ifconfig on vbr0. This, however,
> >>requires ovs-vswitchd to be running. How can I do this using only
> >>ovs-openflowd?
> >ovs-openflowd and ovs-vswitchd are mutually exclusive.  You should not
> >run both of them at once; it will not work properly.
>
> Yes, I remember reading that somewhere. When I was looking at the
> man page for ovs-ofctl at the arguments for add-flow, I interpreted
> the 'switch' argument to mean one of the virtual bridges created
> with ovs-vsctl, rather than a connection to the switch process.

The name of an ovs-vswitchd bridge will ordinarily work as the 'switch'
argument to ovs-ofctl; several forms of switch names are accepted.

> Since ovs-vsctl requires ovs-vswitchd, I thought I might need to run
> it. Also there is the fact that everything I have learned about
> networking I have studied in the past two weeks, so I don't have a
> strong understand of what needs to be done.

OK.

> So are datapaths only used for ovs-openflowd and bridges only used
> for ovs-vswitchd? And, I can use ovs-vswitchd as an OpenFlow switch?

Both use the same kernel datapaths.  The term "bridge" is normally
applied only to ovs-vswitchd though.

Both ovs-openflowd and ovs-vswitchd are OpenFlow switches.