[ovs-discuss] IPSec + openvswitch poor performance

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Oct 15 21:53:11 UTC 2010

2010/10/15 Maciej Gałkiewicz <maciejgalkiewicz at ragnarson.com>:
> What is wrong with 4th test? Why the connection is so slow? Both tools uses
> 100% cpu time during only this trial. My servers have i7-920 (2.67GHz). I
> have also tried with Linux GRE tunnels (ip_gre). The results were the same.
> The last idea which came to my mind was openvpn. I set up openvpn in bridge
> mode also on top of IPSec. The results were only a little worse than the
> third trial. Any suggestions?

These results are surprising to me, since I have also run GRE over
IPsec.  While IPsec obviously does consume some CPU, the machine that
you mentioned should be more than capable of saturating a 100 Mbps
link.  I would try running tcpdump on the traffic both inside and
outside of the tunnel to see if you are experiencing a high rate of
retransmissions, fragmentation, etc.