[ovs-discuss] Getting OpenFlow Set Up

Derek Cormier derek.cormier at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Oct 18 01:21:46 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 09:36 AM, Justin Pettit wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Derek Cormier wrote:
>

>> When you add ports to a virtual bridge, should you still be able to ping them? For some reason, I cannot ping the interface on the switch that a host connects to. Yet, I can ping another host.
>>
> Do you mean, for example, if you add eth0 to br0, you can't ping the address assigned to eth0?  If so, then, no, you cannot ping the addresses of attached devices.  You can assign the IP address to br0, though, and that should work.
>
> --Justin

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I tried giving my bridge, vbr0 an IP
address using:

   ifconfig vbr0 192.168.100.1,

But I am unable to ping it. In order to get ping working before, when I
was pinging from host to host, I had to set up the default entry on each
host to be their outgoing interface, because it wouldn't work with the
routers incoming interface. Should the default entry for the hosts be
vbr0's new IP address?

-Derek