[ovs-discuss] Residual IP/ARP entry after a VM is powered off -> OVS passing unwanted pkts

Luiz Henrique Ozaki luiz.ozaki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:01:38 UTC 2010

Yeah, I don't know the difficult in changing this but this should be the
perfect cenario:
VM is poweroff -> physical switch still have that MAC in a port and sends to
the host -> OVS should know when a VM poweroff and in the MAC table doesn't
have that MAC anymore, MAC become incomplete and maybe some arp request
broadcast should be made (?)... Doing this no packets are sent to any
virtual ports.
The packets are going to be sent to that physical port until MAC timeout,
but OVS will "filter" that packets.

This case seems like a normal switch and I think this is the idea of OVS,
isn't it ?

Does a controller solve this even with the physical switch sending that
packets to the Host/OVS ?

Hmmm... If I create openflow rules for each MAC addresses inside the host,
does it solve this too ? By the way, is this what the controlles does ?

Best regards,

--
[]'s
Luiz Henrique Ozaki