[ovs-discuss] Residual IP/ARP entry after a VM is powered off -> OVS passing unwanted pkts

Luiz Henrique Ozaki luiz.ozaki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 21:38:52 UTC 2010

But the physical switch is sending those packets to all ports because of a *
problem*... Thats not a common behavior, it doesn't make much sense.

Look at this scenario:

Some MAC into switch A is comunicating with a MAC in switch B, when MAC at
switch B is shutdown, the switch will send that packets to all ports in
switch B and if the switch C is connected to switch B, the packets will go
thought all ports in C too and switch D is connected to C, D to E =
broadcast to all switches ! When a port is disconnected, the switch know
that the port state changed and make the MAC address entry goes incomplete
for that MAC and no packets are sent, maybe an arp request but not the
packet broadcast.

As far as I know, the switch have MAC address table relation MACs to ports
and those packets are sent only when this relation is valid always or try to
do so. Seems a primary function since without this a "broadcast of death"
can be easy to make.

As you said, I should assume a switch flooding broadcast packets and if the
switch doesn't have that check, all your network in the same VLAN will crash
since that packet of death will go all over the switches.

OVS, I think already do that MAC -> ports check, since all packets are not
sent to all VMs just needed when a packets comes and OVS doesn't have that
MAC, it doesn't broadcast that. And since OVS will not be connected directly
to another switch, doesn't need even an arp request to be sent.

Well, gonna try openflow rules then...

I'm not an expert in networking so if this is not making sense, please tell
me guys...

--
[]'s
Luiz Henrique Ozaki