[ovs-discuss] Problem in Netflow configuration

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Sep 10 02:42:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Jero Asensio <jero.asensio at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is my first mail in this list, first CONGRATULATIONS at  Open
> VSwitch team and his community, this is a great piece of software very
> important in Open Source future, thanks very much.

Thanks!

> Well, I have a configuration problem in Netflow, I am trying to
> configure netflow but I have some questions:
>
> I use this command to create Netflow in VSwitch:
>
> "ovs-vsctl create Netflow targets=192.168.1.150"  (192.168.1.150 is my
> OSSIM server)
>
> but I can't put the port, in documentation of VSwitch database I can read:
>
> "targets: set of 1 or more strings.   NetFlow targets in the form
> ip:port. The ip must be specified numerically, not as a DNS name."
>
> but if I put ip:port  it´s a syntax error ("ovs-vsctl:
> 192.168.1.150:12000: unexpected ":" parsing set of 1 or more strings")
> and I only can put IP but not port.

You're actually pretty close but you need to escape the colon with a
backslash.  For example:

ovs-vsctl create netflow target="192.168.1.150\:12000"

> The next step it´s put netflow in VSwitch, I use this:
>
> "ovs-vsctl add bridge eth0 netflow  ae9f586e-d211-4ca4-a403-65a09525b8bd"
>
> And finally, I think I neeed to configure an IP address in VSwitch for
> netflow, It´s that true?? If this is necesary, how? I need create a
> data-path??

The IP address doesn't need to be configured through Open vSwitch.  As
long as the system has general IP connectivity to the Netflow
collector you should be fine.