[ovs-discuss] Bonding problems with redundant physical switching

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Sep 10 19:36:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:23:30PM +0200, Christian Fischer wrote:
> I try to get nic bonds working with OpenvSwitch-0.99.2 (XCP-0.5.0).
> Due to missing xcp administration documentation I've started with the
> XenServer-5.6 administration guide.
>
> There is stated that SLB bonding is an active/active mode.
>
> If I create bonds with OpenvSwitch then they are active/passive.

The SLB bonding implemented by Open vSwitch is indeed active/active.
Please explain why you think that it is active/passive.

Also, Open vSwitch 0.99.2 is from February.  The latest release is
1.1.0-pre1, and 1.1.0-pre2 will be out soon.

> I've redundant physical switching for the bond networks, but without
> spanning tree support (HP 1810G), therefore no inter switch links. If
> on one side NIC0 active and on the other side NIC1 active then
> connectivity is broken.  Normally i would think that it should be
> possible to create a trunk between two nodes running identical trunk
> mode without any switching, in this case there's also no ISL.

I don't understand this paragraph.

> What is best practice for nic bonding with redundant switching and is that
> described bond behavior normal for OpenvSwitch SLB mode?

With Open vSwitch bonding, you plug both (or all) of the bonded ports
into the same switch.  It's not a way to obtain redundant switching.

If you want to use another form of bonding, you can use OVS with Linux
bonding.  Linux supports multiple forms of bonding.