[ovs-discuss] Bonding problems with redundant physical switching

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Sep 15 16:39:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Christian Fischer
> <christian.fischer at easterngraphics.com> wrote:
>> You sad that I can use OVS with Linux bonding, how is that to do?
>> Simply loading the bonding kernel module causes segmentation fault, in my
>> case. Can/Must I compile OVS with linux bonding support?
>
> Hmm, it looks like the bonding module depends on the bridge module, at least
> on some Linux kernel versions.  Indeed, it may not be possible to use the
> Linux bonding at the same time as Open vSwitch for Linux before 2.6.36.

Actually Linux bonding should not be used with Open vSwitch even if it
were not for this interaction with the bridge module.  Bonding has a
number of interesting interactions with the learning table and Open
vSwitch has code to handle this but only if the bonding is handled by
OVS itself.  As a result, Linux bonding may work (assuming a new
enough kernel version), however, you are likely to run into a number
of difficult to diagnose corner cases.