[ovs-discuss] Monitoring of openVswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Apr 1 16:09:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:37:28PM +0200, Benoit ML wrote:
> * With ovs-dpctl dump-flows :
>            - Total
>            - Dropped
>            - Miss

I'm not sure that dump-flows output is really useful for monitoring.
It's too much detail.  I don't know how you would use the results.

> * With ovs-dpctl show :
>          - flows (max and current)
>          - ports (max and current)
>          - lookup (miss, frag, lost, hits)

Of these, the lookup stats are the most interesting.  Quickly changing
miss counts usually mean that there are lots of new flows; if there
shouldn't be, then it can indicate that there is a bug.  If the "lost"
number increases then it means that flows couldn't be set up by
userspace fast enough to keep up with the network and so some packets
have been dropped.