[ovs-discuss] Monitoring of openVswitch

Benoit ML ben42ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:51:54 UTC 2011

Hello,

I plan to use it for two pupose :
- simulate physical thing in virtual environnement : in this case of usage,
SPT will be greatly apprecied. I'd like to do some networks loop ! ;)

- Most important : high availability.  Spannig Tree is usefull to have high
availability without any lost of services or connections.  (Other technique
like vip/vrrp, keepalive, heartbeat => a little downtime).

Well in your case, I have multiple vswitch daemon on multiple servers that
are connected togother with GRE tunnel. There is  a "master" OpenVswitch :
physicall server with lots of network card.
This one do the translation between physical and virtual network world. This
"master" Vswitch is big red SPOF.
So I'd like to have HA. Have you a recommandation to do HA with openVswitch
?

With two "master" Vswitch and STP it will be possible to have a full
redondant network topology.

Regards,