[ovs-discuss] Monitoring of openVswitch

Jason Long jlong at jasonlong.com
Tue Apr 5 17:35:24 UTC 2011

On 4/4/11 8:51 AM, Benoit ML wrote:
> - Most important : high availability.  Spannig Tree is usefull to have
> high availability without any lost of services or connections.  (Other
> technique like vip/vrrp, keepalive, heartbeat => a little downtime).

STP has downtime too.. I'd argue that STP takes longer to converge than
HSRP/VRRP or a routing protocol, as some vendors hardware can be
configured with millisecond timers to achieve sub-second fail-overs. STP
puts 50% of my uplinks in blocking, rendering half of the network
capacity unavailable for simultaneous use. I try to build L2 loop free
topologies whenever I can.