[ovs-discuss] Running userspace as nonroot

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Apr 8 19:16:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 02:51:26PM -0400, Aaron Rosen wrote:
> ovs-vsctl --no-wait --db /home/arosen/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock
> init
> *Apr 08
> 18:48:04|00002|reconnect|WARN|/home/arosen/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock:
> connection attempt failed (Address family not supported by protocol)*

The ovs-vsctl manpage documents --db like this:

       --db=server
              Sets server as the database server that  ovs-vsctl  contacts  to
              query    or    modify    configuration.     The    default    is
              unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock.  server must take one of  the
              following forms:
              unix:file
                     Connect to the Unix domain server socket named file.

> Any idea where I went wrong?

You need the "unix:" prefix.

> Also the INSTALL.Linux file seems to be out of date because ovsdb-server no
> longer has the pki configuration.

INSTALL.Linux looks OK to me.  What part seems wrong?

Thanks,

Ben.