[ovs-discuss] Fwd: Problems with WinXP vms

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Apr 12 18:38:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 01:39:01PM -0700, Tom Brown wrote:
> The version of ovs I'm using is: v1.1.0pre2 - 13 Sep 2010

Pretty old.  Can you upgrade to version v1.1.0 that was just released
last week?

> I believe I solved the issue with not being able to access some of the vms.
> I removed an erroneous default route and all the vms were accessible.

Glad to hear that.

> There is something to note about our application. We create additional
> mac/ip pairs on the XP vms. If we create one mac/ip pair on the XP vm, the
> application succeeds without errors. If we create two or more mac/ip pairs,
> we get the errno 87 every time we perform a "load" from the client to the
> server. The initial connection always works, but the "load" is when the
> mac/ip pairs are generated. Additionally, the ip is provided through DHCP.
> However, when the ip is allocated statically, the "load" works without
> error.

What is the externally visible effect of creating a mac/ip pair in an
XP VM?  Does another network device (vif, tap, whatever) get created
in the host?  If so, is that network device getting added to the
vswitch's bridge?  What does the DHCP traffic flowing back and forth
across the new network device look like?