[ovs-discuss] How to set controller's address in OVSDB

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Apr 21 08:53:10 UTC 2011

You are doing it correctly.  Unfortunately, controller configuration is attached to the Bridge, but XenServer destroys bridges on boot.  Managers, on the other hand, are persistent across reboots, since they're associated with the root "Open_vSwitch" Table.  The ovs-controller man page describes how to approach a somewhat similar problem:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
       Configuring a Citrix XenServer to connect to  a  particular  controller
       only  points the remote OVSDB management connection to that controller.
       It does not also configure OpenFlow connections, because the manager is
       expected  to  do  that over the management protocol.  ovs-controller is
       not an Open vSwitch manager and does not know how to do that.

       As a stopgap workaround, ovs-vsctl can wait for an OVSDB connection and
       set the controller, e.g.:

              % ovs-vsctl -t0 --db=pssl: --certificate=cert.pem --ca-cert=none
              --private-key=privkey.pem   --peer-ca-cert=cacert.pem
              set-controller ssl:ip

Other than just adding the controller configuration to an appropriate rc script, the most straight-forward approach that springs to mind is to use the "ovs-vsctl set-manager" command on XenServer and have it point to your controller machine.  Then, on your controller machine, run that ovs-vsctl command from the man page (probably in a loop to handle successive reboots) to configure the bridge to connect back over an OpenFlow channel.

--Justin