[ovs-discuss] Open vswitch on Octeon

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Apr 28 16:10:21 UTC 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 3:15 AM, ahmad numan wrote:

> I am new to Open vswitch. I have installed the open vswitch in Octeon successfully. But open vswitch works in virtualized environment and there is no supported hypervisor (XEN, KVM ) avaiable in MIPS. My question is can i use Open vswitch on Octeon.

OVS isn't limited to virtual switches (I realize the name suggests that).  I assume you are running Linux on Octeon, which should be fine.  If you are looking to bridge multiple physical interfaces, that works fine.  You just need to add Ethernet devices instead of virtual interfaces.

> Secondly Can virtual machines defined using emulator such bochs be communicate with each other using open vswitch ?

OVS can bridge any Ethernet-like devices, so you can plug in virtual interfaces, Ethernet, TAP, etc.

--Justin