[ovs-discuss] vlan_mode native-untagged

Michael A. Collins mike.a.collins at ark-net.org
Mon Dec 12 18:24:52 UTC 2011

On 12.12.2011 12:54, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:45:00PM -0500, Michael A. Collins wrote:
>> I am trying to get this feature to work in my environment, but I can
>> not for the life of me figure it out.  I have two ovs' sitting on
>> two separate boxes connected through an external switch.  I have
>> updated each bridge port to be native-untagged and updated the tag
>> with the vlan as well.  I have updated the trunk port egressing out
>> of each ovs to the external switch.  I have configured the external
>> switch to tag all vlans except the vlan in question.  I can see the
>> changes to the bridge ports working as configured, when I tcpdump on
>> the vm I see the packet untagged, when I tcpdump on the bridges,
>> both fake and real, I see the packet untagged.  I can not tcpdump on
>> the trunk port, but I can on the individual ethx interfaces, that's
>> where I see the packet tagged.  So before it leaves my box it is
>> tagged.  Is native-untagged supposed to work with bonds?  Thanks,
>
> Native-untagged should work on bonds.
>
> Your description of the tcpdump output doesn't help much.  You don't
> say whether the packet in question is in the native VLAN, so, while
> you tell us at each point whether the tag is there, we don't know
> whether it's supposed to be there.

Cool.  The packet, in this case an ARP broadcast, is generated on a VM
that is configured as an access port in vlan 102.  I have configured the
port using the following:
ovs-vsctl add-port DevNet102 vifXX.0
I have verified that vlan_mode is not set and tag is set to 102.  I
created the fake bridge as follows:
ovs-vsctl add-br DevNet102 DevNet0 102
I have verified that vlan_mode is set to native-untagged and tag is set
to 102.  I created the real bridge as follows:
ovs-vsctl add-br DevNet0
I have verified that vlan_mode is set to native-untagged and tag is set
to 102.  I created the bond as follows:
ovs-vsctl add-bond DevNet0 bond0 eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
I then used the following to change settings for the bond:
ovs-vsctl set Port bond0 lacp=active
ovs-vsctl set Port bond0 bond_mode=balance-tcp
ovs-vsctl set Port bond0 vlan_mode=native-untagged
ovs-vsctl set Port bond0 tag=102
I have verified that vlan_mode is set to native-untagged and tag is set
to 102.  I have also verified that LACP is working with the external
switch.

I have configured the external switch with it's default-vlan as 102 and
untagged each port of the bond into vlan 102.
All interfaces are up and passing traffic.  Again, I can see the
packets untagged using tcpdump on each bridge port and inside the vm,
but when I start dumping on the individual OS interfaces, eth0, eth1,
etc, of the bond I suddenly see that the packet is tagged.

When I capture on DevNet0, I am seeing packets coming from ovs into the
port, right?  That would be packets egressing from ovs, correct?

Mike