[ovs-discuss] An OVS switch appliance?

Matthew Law matt at webcontracts.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 16:45:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

I was chatting with someone recently about how expensive 10gbit switches
are -we'd both expected continuing adoption to bring the price down a lot
more than it has at this point.  This lead on to someone saying: "how much
would it cost to make an appliance from, say, a 2U server and stuff it
full of 10gbit NICs?  -you could put linux on it and use something like
openvswitch with a friendly web or terminal gui to administer it..."

I don't know if it has already been done or is even sensible, but I
thought it would be interesting to hear what people think of such an idea
:-)

Is it possible/stupid/inefficient?  Is OVS lacking anything that would be
needed for something like that? (the context was regarding switching of
storage data for VMs using iSCSI).

Interested to hear your thoughts on this,

Matt.