[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch beats Linux Bridge

Martin Casado casado at nicira.com
Mon Feb 7 02:48:19 UTC 2011

The results you are referring to were collected a year and a half ago
and the code base has evolved significantly since (including many
performance optimizations).  Open vSwitch makes aggressive use of
flow-caching so the addition of new features should not affect packet
forwarding rates in the common case.

These are nice results.  It would be great if you could keep us updated
as your research progresses.

.martin

> Hi.
>
> During my research I did some performance tests. In some of your paper
> on ovs I read that "Open vSwitch is almost as fast as the native
> bridge". Well in my environment ovs beats the Linux Bridge [1].
>
> Do you have any explanation why Open vSwitch, with all it features, is
> faster than the "simple" Bridge?
>
> My setup is:
> - Host:
> 	o kernel 2.6.36.1
> 	o ovs 1.1.0pre2
> 	o one bridge
> - 2 guests:
> 	o kernel 2.6.36.2
> 	o QEMU 0.12.4
> 	o TAP interface (attached to bridge)
> - measurement
> 	o iperf
> 	o 15 runs
> 	o 5 minutes each
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel
>
> P.S.
> Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining ;-)
>
> [1] http://i.imgur.com/KgH0J.png

Martin Casado
Nicira Networks, Inc.
www.nicira.com | www.openvswitch.org