[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch, WLAN and bonding

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Jan 14 17:59:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:44:47AM +0100, J?r?mie Tarot wrote:
>> Before risking to go a dead end road, could someone tell me if Open
>> vSwitch works with wireless interfaces and, if so, can these be part
>> of a bond ?
>
> It should work, to the extent that wireless interfaces act like Ethernet
> interfaces.  OVS does not have any special support for wireless
> protocols.

Actually, it won't work in most situations.  Wireless base stations
generally only allow packets with the source MAC address of NIC that
completed the initial handshake.  Therefore, only a single device
would be able to communicate and only over a single link unless you
did some type of MAC rewriting.

This isn't specific to Open vSwitch, it's enforced by the access point.