[ovs-discuss] newbie discovering ovs

Henrique Rodrigues henriquesilvar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:54:12 UTC 2011

Hi Xavier,

I'm using the setup openvswitch+vmware for testing my code. I'm
replying because I had a similar problem in understanding the ovs
ifaces at the beginning... I'm assuming you've installed ovs within
the virtual box vm. The vm has only two interfaces, one of them is the
vm's physical interface (eth0) and the other is the bridge iface that
would be created by ovs (which can be seen as the "new vm physical
interface". Ovs will be between these two interfaces, switching
packets that have been sent through them.

I don't know how the usermode ovs works,  but used these steps to
setup ovs within the vmware vm:

- Compile everything
- Load the modules
- Create the ovs bridge (ovs-vsctl add-br)
- Add eth0 to the bridge (ovs-vsctl add-port) and unset it's ip addr
(set it to 0.0.0.0)
- Set the bridge iface ip addr to the vm's original ip addr.
- ping to test.

I hope this helps.

--
Henrique Rodrigues