[ovs-discuss] brcompatd debian/ubuntu init script

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Jan 20 09:02:59 UTC 2011

We generally encourage users to try to use the native OVS commands to do configuration and not run the bridge compatibility code.  Obviously, there are situations where this is not possible, and it's necessary due to pre-compiled binaries or some such to use this mode.  For example, we had to do this with XenServer 5.5, since it wasn't built to work with OVS.  As such, you can find an example of starting up bridge compatibility in the XenServer init script: "xenserver/etc_init.d_openvswitch".

Once again, I would encourage you not to go down that route, since that code is not as well tested anymore and will likely go away in the future.

--Justin