[ovs-discuss] newbie discovering ovs

Xavier COUDIN xavier.coudin at ac-nantes.fr
Fri Jan 21 12:50:06 UTC 2011

Well, some half-good news.

It's almost working.
Did not recompile as kernel-module yet.

VirtualBox can create pseudo-ethernet interface , to put the VMs in
local network (limited to the host).
The name of those interfaces are vboxnet0  (vboxnet1,.......).
If cleary appear in the ifconfig of the host.
But...Virtualbox REFUSES to create thos interface WITHOUT an ip-adress,
so I kept the suggested address 192.168.57.1 for vboxnet1. Then I
configurated the VM (win-2k virtual machine) to use this vboxnet1 as its
ethernet interface. Actually, the VM does not receive the ip
192.168.57.1, and is asking for an ip through dhcp.

Now in OVS, I created a bridge br0. I added 2 ports to the br0
- port eth0 of the host (without tag, so 802.1q)  connected to an
external manageable switch
- vboxnet1 tag=6

....working
The WM can obtain an ip-adress from the dhcp, and can ping an address on
the internet  (ex. www.google.com)

...but
When I try to access to the web with a web-browser, I can only receive a
few frames and then it remains waiting, waiting, waiting........
When I disconnect the VM from the ovs bridge and tie it back to the
(host) linux-bridge  (eth1), the web-browser is running fine.

So it is not fully workable for the moment. I will try to rebuild ovs
with kernel-module option and see if I can get somothing better.

Also I will try the solution with building tap0 and tap1
pseudo-ethernet-cards (I gess, using the kvm functionalities of Linux)
to see if it can improve my problem.

--
Xavier COUDIN  -  coordinateur informatique
Lycée Pays-de-Retz, 44210 Pornic, tel 02 40 82 40 19  poste 167