[ovs-discuss] Regarding Bonding and OpenvSwitch

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu Jan 27 04:14:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Jan-Erik Svendsen
<jan.e.svendsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running a Xenserver 5.6fp1 cluster.
> As far as i have understood from bits and pieces of information I have
> gathered, OpenvSwitch cannot function alongside with the linux bonding
> module.
> Can OpenvSwitch and LACP bonding co-exist on the same host? Is this
> setup viable at all?

In general we do not recommend using Linux bonding in conjunction with
Open vSwitch because certain types of bonding algorithms interact with
the learning table.  In these situations, it will appear to mostly
work but unusual behavior can arise because Open vSwitch does not know
that bonding is involved.  I believe that LACP is less likely to
exhibit these types of problems because both sides of the link are
aware that bonding is taking place and treat the bond as a single
port.  However, I have not tested it.

There is currently some work taking place to add native LACP support
to Open vSwitch, which should be easier to use and will avoid these
caveats.