[ovs-discuss] ovs-vsctl: multiple rows in Interface match "vnet0"

Piotr Kandziora raveenpl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:24:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am currently using OVS in brcompatd mode and writing some scripts (using
ovs-vsctl, ovs-ofctl commands) for automation.

At the beginning I tired to use OVS in conjuction with LibVirt - but
unsuccessfully - it complained that my bridge is not bridge interface - so I
swtiched to brcompatd mode.

For testing I ran a few virtual machines and tried to get ofport value for
given Interface. In some cases getting value is not possible because in the
database are a few records concerning given Interface.

For example:

# /usr/sbin/ovs-vsctl get Interface vnet0 ofport
ovs-vsctl: multiple rows in Interface match "vnet0"

_uuid               : 23e42d2e-a1a0-43a5-82cc-a09eea7bce93
admin_state         : up
duplex              : full
external_ids        : {}
ingress_policing_burst: 0
ingress_policing_rate: 0
link_speed          : 10000000
link_state          : up
mac                 : []
monitor             : []
mtu                 : 1500
name                : "vnet0"
ofport              : 2
options             : {}
other_config        : {}
statistics          : {collisions=0, rx_bytes=17536, rx_crc_err=0,
rx_dropped=0, rx_errors=0, rx_frame_err=0, rx_over_err=0, rx_packets=202,
tx_bytes=438467, tx_dropped=0, tx_errors=0, tx_packets=1558}
status              : {driver_name=tun, driver_version="1.6",
firmware_version="N/A"}
type                : ""

_uuid               : e572a72e-f43a-43b7-af67-78d9c3fda44c
admin_state         : []
duplex              : []
external_ids        : {}
ingress_policing_burst: 0
ingress_policing_rate: 0
link_speed          : []
link_state          : []
mac                 : []
monitor             : []
mtu                 : []
name                : "vnet0"
ofport              : []
options             : {}
other_config        : {}
statistics          : {}
status              : {}
type                : ""

This situation happens usually after I restart my testing server. What is
reason of this? How can I fix it? Maybe this is connected to brcompatd mode.
If it were possible to use OVS with LibVirt (maybe am I wrong here that this
is not possible?) I would not use this mode.

I am using newest OVS 1.1.1 on Debian Squeeze.

Best regards
Piotr Kandziora