[ovs-discuss] Connecting two open vswitches on different hosts

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:18:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 01:40, Aniruddha Laud <trojan.of.troy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to connect two instances of openvswitches running on different hosts.
> vde_switch has a way to do this using dpipe and vde_plug where it creates a
> tunnel between the two hosts. I read the cookbook, but I don't see any such
> option in openvswitch. The cookbook mentions that the hosts need to have a
> direct connection using actual NICs. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "connect two
instances".  Do you mean treat them as a single bridge?  You can
connect almost anything that creates an interface at the OS level to
an OVS bridge, so you could make a tunnel between two bridges, but
treating them (internally) as one bridge is much more complex - and
potentially not that necessary.  What can you accomplish with one
bridge that you can't accomplish with two?  (Especially if they are
openflow controlled?)

--
Nick