[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch Version on XCP

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Fri Jul 15 08:48:05 UTC 2011

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:57 AM, Wei-Chih Chen wrote:

> I am using Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) 1.0.
> I type "ovs-vsctl --version" command on the host console, and it returns:
> ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 1.0.2
> Compiled Feb  7 2011 17:28:47
> However, there is no such version (1.0.2) from http://openvswitch.org
> Does XCP modify Open vSwitch so it has aonther version?
> If so, what does XCP modify?

If you look at the git history for OVS, you'll see that there actually is a v1.0.2 tag.  I don't believe what's in XCP exactly matches this, but it should be fairly close.  The Xen folks maintain their own version of OVS, which is typically a commit at some point in our development process and then bug-fix patches applied on top.  We're now providing more long-term stable release branches of OVS and coordinating with the Xen guys so that we can hopefully get release schedules more in sync going forward.

> I type "ovs-ofctl --version" and get:
> ovs-ofctl (Open vSwitch) 1.0.2
> Compiled Feb  7 2011 17:28:47
> OpenFlow versions 0x1:0x1
> Does this mean the version of OpenFlow is 1.1?

OVS only supports OpenFlow 1.0.  That is specifying a range of minimum and maximum versions supported by that utility, which is only 1.0.

--Justin