[ovs-discuss] Connecting two open vswitches on different hosts

Aniruddha Laud trojan.of.troy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 04:41:48 UTC 2011

This doesn't seem to work with an IPIP tunnel created using the "ip tunnel
add" command.

This is what I did on both machines:

ip tunnel add net1 mode ipip remote <remote_addr> local <local_addr> ttl 255
ifconfig net1 192.168.255.12/24 up # on machine 1
ifconfig net1 192.168.255.13/24 up # on machine 2

I was able to ping machine1 from machine2 and ssh into either machine.

On doing
ifconfig net1 0.0.0.0 up
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 net1
ifconfig br0 192.168.255.12/24 up # on machine 1

After doing this, route -n showed
192.168.255.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br0

After this, I wasn't able to ping the machines any more.

Am I going wrong somewhere? Thanks.