[ovs-discuss] OVS on opensource Xen

James Hongyi Zeng hyzeng at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:55:21 UTC 2011

Hi All,

    I am trying to install ovs on RHEL5 + xen kernel. I am not using Citrix
XenServer. When I try to build OVS against kernel xen header files following
INSTALL.Linux, everything seems fine until insmod.

    First, I got "openvswitch_mod: exports duplicate symbol
br_should_route_hook (owned by bridge)". When I try to remove bridge.ko, I
got "ERROR: Module bridge is in use by xt_physdev". When I try to remove
xt_physdev, I got "ERROR: Module xt_physdev is in use". How can I workaround
this?

    And, how can I make sure the openvswitch_mod is always loaded before
bridge? When I run modprobe, it seems to me that openvswitch_mod is not
loaded in the ko pool after make install.

[hyzeng at nms-oexp2 drivers]$ sudo modprobe openvswitch_mod
FATAL: Module openvswitch_mod not found.

    Is there anything I should pay attention to when installing OVS in
opensource Xen on RHEL?

Thanks,
James