[ovs-discuss] Forwarding between Multiple interfaces Openflow

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Mar 1 03:58:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Aaron Rosen <arosen at clemson.edu> wrote:
> I have one more question, If dp0 receives a packet that is not ip
> protocol 0x800 but instead is an IPIP packet would there be any reason
> why it wouldn't forward the packet to the controller as a packet-in
> event rather than sending an ICMP protocol not support packet?

Open vSwitch isn't an IP stack, so it is not going to send back
an ICMP protocol not supported response on its own.  Something else
must be generating that; for example, if the controller is causing
packets to be directed to the Linux IP stack (e.g. by sending them to
eth local port) but the Linux IP stack is not configured to handle IPIP
packets, then this seems like plausible behavior.
--
"I don't normally do acked-by's.  I think it's my way of avoiding
getting blamed when it all blows up."               Andrew Morton