[ovs-discuss] Queue configuration

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Mar 4 17:26:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:44:00PM +0500, Syed Akbar Mehdi wrote:
> Does OVS support queue configuration for the physical ports of a switch?

Yes.  It is configured through the OVS database using the QoS and Queue
tables:
        http://openvswitch.org/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5.pdf

> I have ovs-openflowd running in userspace on a Linux box (32-bit
> Ubuntu 10.10) and I send it an Openflow message of type
> OFPT_QUEUE_GET_CONFIG_REQUEST from the controller (NOX 0.9 Zaku). The
> OVS installation I am using is the latest version, checked out from
> git a couple of days back.

ovs-openflowd does not support queue configuration.  You have to use
ovs-vswitchd.

OVS does not support OFPT_QUEUE_GET_CONFIG_REQUEST.  It would not help
anyway, because OpenFlow only defines one queue property which doesn't
include enough information to accurately specify any of the forms of QoS
that OVS supports.

You should not expect to use OpenFlow to configure queues anyway, since
OpenFlow 1.0 says, in section 5.3.4: "Queue configuration takes place
outside the OpenFlow protocol, either through a command line tool or
through an external dedicated configuration protocol."