[ovs-discuss] ovs-openflowd segfaults in userspace mode

Syed Akbar Mehdi akbar.mehdi at seecs.nust.edu.pk
Sat Mar 5 14:07:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am having trouble trying to run ovs-vswitchd in userspace mode. I get the
following behaviour:

$ sudo ovs-vswitchd unix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock --pidfile
Mar 05
18:52:54|00001|reconnect|INFO|unix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock:
connecting...
Mar 05
18:52:54|00002|reconnect|INFO|unix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock:
connected
Mar 05 18:52:54|00003|dpif_linux|ERR|Generic Netlink family 'odp_datapath'
does not exist. The Open vSwitch kernel module is probably not loaded.
Mar 05 18:52:54|00004|dpif|WARN|failed to enumerate system datapaths: No
such file or directory

If I go ahead and try to add a bridge using:

$ sudo ovs-vsctl add-br br0

I get the following output from ovs-vswitchd:

Mar 05 18:55:46|00005|dpif|WARN|failed to create datapath br0: No such file
or directory

The version of Open vSwitch I am using is the latest checked out from git.
Also I should add that I am able to run ovs-openflowd in userspace mode.
However I need to use ovs-vswitchd for using QoS queues on my switch's
interfaces.

Regards,
Akbar