[ovs-discuss] Userspace vswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Mar 30 01:19:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 08:38:31PM -0400, Aaron Rosen wrote:
> Hello I'm trying to use openvswitch in userspace. I'm following the
> instructions here:
>
> http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL.userspace;hb=HEAD
>
> Though when I run I get:
>
> [root at chimney arosen]#     ovs-vsctl add-br br0
> Mar 29 20:36:14|00002|stream_unix|ERR|/tmp/stream-unix.14266.0: connection
> to /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock failed: No such file or directory
> Mar 29

You didn't start ovsdb-server.  I think that you forgot this part of the
instructions:

    The requirements and procedure for building, installing, and
    configuring Open vSwitch are the same as those given in INSTALL.Linux.
    You may omit configuring, building, and installing the kernel module,
    and the related requirements.