No subject

Thu May 26 04:05:51 UTC 2011

enterprise use, are buit upon oepnflowj,
I think they have tested openflowj and considered it good as the foundation
of their projects, and decided to adopt.

Besides configuration web UI, Beacon provides other useful functions based
on openflowj APIs.
I may adopt openflowj as well as some Beacon funcitons (excluding web UI),
because starting from openflowj only is a little hard work.
However, I still would like to learn more about openflowj.
Are there useful documents, such as API description and sample codes?
Thanks!

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood at stanford.edu>wrote:

> [I didn't see the post to openflow-discuss, so I will try to answer this
> here]
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm one of the co-author's of openflowj.
>
> OpenFlowj is a complete and very useful implementation of the openflow
> protocol in java.  While I believe the code is solid and to the best
> of my knowledge bug-free, it is "community supported" open source
> software, so depending on your needs, it may not be suitable for an
> enterprise deployment.  That said, a number of projects are built upon
> openflowj including Beacon and the FlowVisor
> (http://openflow.stanford.edu) and those projects are deployed in at
> least semi-production settings, so maybe I'm just being overly
> cautious.
>
> If you were looking for a commercially supported product, there are a
> number of commercial controller manufacturers who I'm sure would be
> interested in talking with you to find out your needs.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> - Rob
> .
>

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am using XCP (Xen Cloud Platform), which includes Open vSwitch.
> > I would like to create virtual bridges of Open vSwitch and attach them to
> > VMs on XCP.
> > However, from the XCP community, they suggest to use OpenFlow controllers
> > control Open vSwitch instead of using ovs- commands directly because ovs-
> > commands may confuse XAPI.
> >
> > I just tried Beacon and found that there is openflowj, which seems
> official
> > Java library for OpenFlow.
> > It seems that Beacon provides a web UI (and perhaps also provides some
> > useful functions) calling openflowj as backend.
> >
> > For automatical configuration, my system needs a set of APIs to control
> Open
> > vSwitch through OpenFlow.
> > Does openflowj provide all functions that can fully configure Open
> vSwitch?
> > (That is, can I fully control Open vSwitch by just using openflowj?)
> >
> > Moreover, I take a look at Maestro, another Java-based OpenFlow
> controller.
> > It seems to implement its own codes for communicating with OpenFlow
> > switches, not openflowj.
> > If this is true, which is recommended, openflowj or Maestro? (For
> production
> > enterprise network. Friendly GUI is not necessary)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > p.s. Similar question has been also posted in
> > openflow-support at lists.stanford.edu.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wayne

--bcaec501619b8574e304a67feb1d

Dear Rob and all,<br><br>Sorry, I posted it to openflow-support, and it is =
now re-posted to openflow-discuss.<br>(with subject &quot;Choices of OpenFl=
ow Controllers/Libraries&quot;)<br><br>From the fact that Beacon and FlowVi=
sor, projects aiming at production enterprise use, are buit upon oepnflowj,=

I think they have tested openflowj and considered it good as the foundation=
 of their projects, and decided to adopt.<br><br>Besides configuration web =
UI, Beacon provides other useful functions based on openflowj APIs.<br>

I may adopt openflowj as well as some Beacon funcitons (excluding web UI), =
because starting from openflowj only is a little hard work.<br>
However, I still would like to learn more about openflowj.<br>Are there use=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rob.sherwood at stanford.edu" target=3D=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
[I didn&#39;t see the post to openflow-discuss, so I will try to answer thi=
s here]<br>
Hello,<br>
I&#39;m one of the co-author&#39;s of openflowj.<br>
OpenFlowj is a complete and very useful implementation of the openflow<br>
protocol in java. =A0While I believe the code is solid and to the best<br>
of my knowledge bug-free, it is &quot;community supported&quot; open source=
software, so depending on your needs, it may not be suitable for an<br>
enterprise deployment. =A0That said, a number of projects are built upon<br=

openflowj including Beacon and the FlowVisor<br>
(<a href=3D"http://openflow.stanford.edu" target=3D"_blank">http://openflow=
.stanford.edu</a>) and those projects are deployed in at<br>
least semi-production settings, so maybe I&#39;m just being overly<br>
cautious.<br>
If you were looking for a commercially supported product, there are a<br>
number of commercial controller manufacturers who I&#39;m sure would be<br>
interested in talking with you to find out your needs.<br>
Hope that helps,<br>
- Rob<br>
.<br>
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Wei-Chih Chen &lt;<a href=3D"http://wcchen=
.tw" target=3D"_blank">wcchen.tw</a>@<a href=3D"http://gmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Dear all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I am using XCP (Xen Cloud Platform), which includes Open vSwitch.<br>
&gt; I would like to create virtual bridges of Open vSwitch and attach them=
 to<br>
&gt; VMs on XCP.<br>
&gt; However, from the XCP community, they suggest to use OpenFlow controll=
ers to<br>
&gt; control Open vSwitch instead of using ovs- commands directly because o=
vs-<br>
&gt; commands may confuse XAPI.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I just tried Beacon and found that there is openflowj, which seems off=
icial<br>
&gt; Java library for OpenFlow.<br>
&gt; It seems that Beacon provides a web UI (and perhaps also provides some=
&gt; useful functions) calling openflowj as backend.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; For automatical configuration, my system needs a set of APIs to contro=
l Open<br>
&gt; vSwitch through OpenFlow.<br>
&gt; Does openflowj provide all functions that can fully configure Open vSw=
itch?<br>
&gt; (That is, can I fully control Open vSwitch by just using openflowj?)<b=
r>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Moreover, I take a look at Maestro, another Java-based OpenFlow contro=
ller.<br>
&gt; It seems to implement its own codes for communicating with OpenFlow<br=

&gt; switches, not openflowj.<br>
&gt; If this is true, which is recommended, openflowj or Maestro? (For prod=
uction<br>
&gt; enterprise network. Friendly GUI is not necessary)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; p.s. Similar question has been also posted in<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:openflow-support at lists.stanford.edu" target=3D"_blan=
k">openflow-support at lists.stanford.edu</a>.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards,<br>