[ovs-discuss] OVS controller reconnection on XenServer reboot

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon May 2 22:00:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 02:51:14PM -0700, David Erickson wrote:
> I've noticed that OVS isn't connecting to the controller on
> boot/reboot, is there an option somewhere I need to set to enable
> this?  On further inspection when I run ovs-vsctl list bridge it
> looks like the bridge lost both its controller entry and its
> other_config:datapath-id.  Is there a persist or save command I need
> to issue after setting these things?

What happens at boot is this:

	* OVS tears down and destroys all bridges, because XenServer
          expects to re-create each one at boot.

	* OVS refreshes the manager (OVSDB connection) from the
          XenServer (XAPI) database.

	* XenServer creates each of the bridges.  No controller is
          set.

	* The manager is supposed to set the controller for each
          bridge as it likes, using the OVSDB connection to do so.