[ovs-discuss] duplicate port names in DB

Gregor Schaffrath grsch at net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de
Tue May 3 14:38:45 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 06:43:52AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Gregor Schaffrath wrote:
> > I found out that the duplicate entries do not stem from a MAC address issue, but from the fact that I use the std. debian /etc/network/interfaces file to set up my bridges...
> > It seems that the bridges are not eliminated from the DB upon shutdown, but the ports are added to the DB once more when the network script adds them to supposedly freshly created bridges.
> > (mind that brctl still reports a correct setup, but the DB now contains duplicate Port entries)
> > Is this behaviour intended? Is it a known bug?
>
> Are you using ovs-brcompatd, then?  We don't test with ovs-brcompatd
Yes, I am.

> much anymore, and I don't recommend using it.  You are better off using
I'd figured that :P

> ovs-vsctl to manipulate the database.
I do for advanced stuff - but it's convenient (and less error prone) to use the regular networking scripts for a base setup.

> It may be time to remove ovs-brcompatd.
If I had a vote in this matter, I'd vote not to... I think that's the most elegant way of coping with the different network setup scripts of a plethora of distributions (or whining users that communicate with the host via a bridge and forget to revise their network configuration upon openvswitch installation - leaving the machine connectionless :P)

However: duplication detection does not work for brcompatd, while the rest of brcompatd seems to work well...
(My current workaround involves deletion and recreation of the DB at boot time - that seems to work out)

> > Nonetheless, my question remains whether one can find out which entry is the correct one in the case of duplicate entries.
>
> When ovs-vsctl gives that warning, it means that there is no correct
> entry.
Actually, there are some Port table entries that affect system configuration (e.g. vlan settings), and some that don't (tested that) - but they all look identical, except for the uuid.

Thank you for the prompt reply :)

Cheers,
	Gregor.