[ovs-discuss] Is it possible to protect CAPWAP tunnel through IPSec?

Rajesh Kumar G crimsonbloat at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:21:39 UTC 2011

Hi Jesse,

I was trying to see if the performance degrade that is observed with
GRE+IPSec as mentioned in this mail thread

http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@openvswitch.org/msg00915.html

can be overcome by trying CAPWAP tunnel instead. Is there any fix for the
GRE+IPSec performance degrade yet? I observed the degrade in
openvswitch-1.1.0 released code also.

by the way, I should mention that I was able to make GRE+IPSec work by
manually setting up SA/SP as following,

# SA
add HostA HostB esp 0x201 -E 3des-cbc
        <key>;
add HostB HostA esp 0x201 -E 3des-cbc
        <key>;

# SP
spdadd HostA/32  HostB/32 gre -P out ipsec
           esp/transport//require;

spdadd HostB/32  HostA/32 gre -P in ipsec
           esp/transport//require;

and reverse on the other host. This is what made me think the same can work
with CAPWAP.

Thanks for the info,
-Rajesh.