[ovs-discuss] VMWare?

Jaime Nebrera jnebrera at eneotecnologia.com
Tue May 10 07:41:36 UTC 2011

   Hi Justin,

> Hi, Jaime.  It is true that OVS is written in such a way that it should be easily portable
> to other platforms.  Unfortunately, VMware ESX is not open source, so we can't add
> support ourselves.  While VMware is dominant in the enterprise, Linux-based hypervisors are
> more prevalent in cloud build-outs.  That said, we'd love to be a part of VMware, so we
> encourage people to talk to their VMware representatives or channels about including OVS.

   Im fully aware of what you are saying. As you state, VMWare is not
opensource and thus would be difficult to include this unless you do so
on top of what they already provide.

   Also, sadly, OVS is in essence a competing offering to their vswitch,
so I dont see VMWare jumping to include it :(

   Regards

Jaime Nebrera - jnebrera at eneotecnologia.com
Consultor TI - ENEO Tecnologia SL
C/ Manufactura 2, Edificio Euro, Oficina 3N
Mairena del Aljarafe - 41927 - Sevilla
Telf.- 955 60 11 60 / 619 04 55 18