[ovs-discuss] specify number of core to run open vswitch

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Tue May 24 16:12:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM, ahmad numan <numan252 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to get performance of a network application that i wrote by binding
> this application to one core and avoid any other application (OVS that is
> simultaneously running) to be scheduled on that core. This can be done by
> limiting OVS to some cores and binding the application to a specific core.
> As OVS cannot be limited to some cores, I have to find out some other way.

The OVS kernel module is not an application that gets scheduled.  It
simply runs inline in the network stack on the CPU that the packet
originated on.  On receive this means the CPU that the interrupt was
triggered on and on transmit the CPU of the application that send the
packet.  In any case, if your application is sending a lot of traffic
and it is going through OVS then you want them running on the same
CPU.  Otherwise, you'll just get a lot of cache contention that will
far outweigh the actual cost of processing.